Sunday, April 12, 2009

The things we collect

It is funny how some collections begin. Some start off as a joke that keeps going, and going, and going (this is how I ended up with over a 100 cow items in my home, and not nice ones, really tacky ones). Some are just little things you pick up over the years. Some are collections that you make great effort to support and pick up more of over the years, and some collections just sneak up on you when you weren't looking. I collect a lot of items. I no longer hunt for items to add to specific collections due to money and space. But I will occasionally pick up something if it is a great deal. I am a scavenger, I like to shop at tag sales and good will stores. So I found this cute little sewing chair many years ago and have found a few more here and there. Soon, there were seven of these chairs. So skip ahead to today. My parents bought me a birthday gift and gave it to me a few days early. I opened the box and inside were the most charming little chairs!! They were purchased at an auction. I thought I would share them here. I know they are not entirely sewing related, but the work that went into these old chairs are amazing. They are now living on one of my china cabinets so I can enjoy them every day.

3 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

I love your chairs, especially your pincushion chairs. I have a collection of antique sewing implements, mostly thimbles ( a LOT of them) and some scissors, thimble holders, needle cases, only one beautiful sterling silver shoe pincushion, tape measures, etc. I haven't added anything to it in a long time. Perhaps I should put some on my blog.
Thanks for sharing. Your other chairs are very special, too.

Carole said...

What a treasure!! What fun to have those... I used to admire my friends collection of pincushions, they were in the shape of what we now use as a 'Judy' or a 'Diana'... for fitting clothing.
You must certainly get a lot of compliments on them.upedis

Jamie Fingal said...

I love your collection of little chairs - they are all so charming. Thank you so much for sharing. I love how you have them displayed.